Removed Reji references from the app
We built this version of Mate with the latest toolset available and made sure everything works perfectly on the new iOS 14.
We improved App Store screenshots for Portuguese (Brazil).
We managed to track down and squash all speech translator bugs now. Tapping that microphone button shouldn't crash the app anymore.
Visit our Help Center for FAQ and tutorials: https://help.gikken.co/hc/
Follow us on Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/MateTranslate
Important! You should've already received an email from us which said that we're removing third-party login methods – Facebook and Google. Our decision is privacy and Mate's stability driven. Read more here: https://blog.gikken.co/were-removing-third-party-login-methods-from-mate/
Help Center. We've created a help center where you can find answers to most questions, tutorials, etc. Check it out here: https://help.gikken.co/hc/
- Full-page translation in Safari. We rewrote the website translation script. It should be faster, friendlier, and more stable now. Previously, it failed to work on some sites (e.g. Medium.com), now it works perfectly on every site.
- Hebrew full page translation works well again in Safari.
- Issue with AirPods and other earphones was solved. Mate was speaking out via iPhone's loudspeaker even though the earphones were connected. Now it goes via earphones as intended.
- iOS keyboard autocompletion is back in the main app.
- Correct transliteration for Traditional Chinese.
- A couple of light - dark mode bugs were squashed.
- Copy button didn't work in the Safari extension, now it does.
- Safari extension's bar could look ugly on some sites due to CSS confilcts, now it's better.
- Speak-out for the original language didn't work in the Safari extension. We fixed it.
- A nasty sync bug was fixed. Previously, when you signed out, then erased your History and/or Phrasebook, and then sign in again, it would erase it on the server, as well. Now, it won't. All actions that you do when you're signed out stay on your device.
It's the biggest update we've ever shipped for Mate's iOS app! Without kidding, it's even larger than the initial Mate release. It's packed with 5 totally new features and a few dozens of smaller improvements.
Yes, you're reading it correctly! From now on, Mate can translate offline, too. Just download offline packs for languages you need from the language picker and you're good to go. Packs are reasonably-sized — each of them is just around 50 MB. Please note offline translation come without synonyms and phonetic transcription, though.
We added yet another way to translate seamlessly within iOS — now in Safari. With our brand new action extension you can translate words, sentences and even full pages without leaving Safari. Turn on Mate Extension from the share menu in Safari's toolbar.
It's better late than never, right? Mate offers both light and dark modes now.
Mate will always try to understand the input language itself even if you forget to set it correctly.
More Data About Words
Now Mate shows phonetic transcription for the original, too. We also added support for genders for languages like French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc.
All-New Speech Translator
Mate's Speak & Translate feature was redesigned from the ground up. It's not a separate screen anymore. You can start talking to Mate by simply tapping on the microphone icon in the input field. Pretty much the same way as audio message in WhatsApp or Telegram work. The words will appear in the field on the fly.
Updated Home Screen Quick Actions
Long tap on Mate's icon on home screen to access our revamped quick actions. You can start speech or clipboard translation from there.
Better Look on iPad
We owe an apology to iPad users that Mate was a downright iPad-hostile app up until this moment. We optimized every screen and extension to look and feel natively on iPad.
Speed and Stability Improvements
Phonetic transcription should never fail to load, translation speed became considerably faster.
Enhanced Copy Options
You can copy phonetic transcription (or transliteration) too now. Just long tap on it.
Bugs Fixed and Smaller Improvements
- Mate won't interrupt your music playback when using the speak-out feature anymore.
- We polished Mate's look on iPhone X, XR, Xs (Max), and 11.
- We made the main screen cleaner and more solid.
- We localized Mate into a bunch of new languages. We also polished old localizations. All in-app copy should've become more clear and concise.
Mate is also available for Mac and as a browser extension for all major browsers:
Follow us on Twitter for updates:
Send feedback at [email protected]